Saturday, October 1, 2011

Sheriff's Extravaganza

I got up this morning determined to take advantage of the nice cooler temps and do something outside.  At 7:30 I was running late.  I got up, took the dogs out and then got dressed to do some walking.  The husband had been up since 4am so he declined.  Instead of going outside, I ended up on the treadmill.  It was a good 3.5 uphill workout.  I like the inclines when I don't really want to spend too much time inside but still want a good sweaty workout.  It was good.  Later we had to run some errands before my husband left. By noon, I was prepared to spend the day doing much of nothing (so much for being active). 

Fortunately, there was the Annual Sheriff's Extravaganza going on across the street. The husband reminded me that I said I might go.  So I went.  It was OK.  I got a lot of information from the vendors there.  There was free food and swag bags.  I'd say it was very interesting.  Who knew the sheriff's department had so many modes of transportation?  No me!  And just a side note....is it weird that there is a burn ban (including barbecuing) and there was a giant barbecue pit spreading delicious aromas there?  I guess no one was worried seeing as how it was next door to the fire station and there was a fire truck there for the kids to ooh and ahh over.  I had a good time.







I like to see these just like this as opposed to seeing them in my rear view mirror. 


 
 If they don't catch you by bike, they'll see you from above.







Then there is the speedy and sleek cars. 





   And if we ever get enough rain to fill a lake again, this surely would come in handy!



Then there is the super truck for the S.W.A.T. Team.  Impressive!

 Bet you didn't know there was a Safe House on wheels.  Me neither but it sure was interesting to learn.







Blurry demonstration of a sheriff challenging some kids to push-ups.  Pah!  He should have guessed the kids would beat him.  They have insane energy!




 Isabella the Search and Rescue Dog was sweet as she could be. 


I said there was food. I only sample a little.  This was fried oysters.  They were OK but I'm no fan of oysters.








There were several free drinks from vendors.  This one was one of my favorites from Genesis Today  which just happens to be here in Austin.












This was some type of spicy chicken ball from Taj Mahal Indian Cuisine.  I was pretty good. 








And let's not forget about the blood suckers.  I was not able to give blood but I was happy to see there were several people waiting to give.





So, I got my workout in plus got some sun and gathered some free informational loot.  I consider that a very productive Saturday.  Now to relax and get something in my stomach.

No comments: