Thursday, October 27, 2011

Some Kind of Wonderful

I had a good day.  I got system access and finally felt like I was pulling my weight around the office.  Everyone was buzzing about the threat of cooler weather.  This prompted pumpkin latte flavored coffee scents in one corner and french vanilla coffee in the other corner.  The warm cinnamon rolls waiting on the empty desk just made it all the more sweet.  Definitely a sugar and caffeine buzz worthy environment was going on.

To top it off  there was quite a conversation in the break room today.  It had a lot to do with some woman wearing a fat suit on TV.  I've tried to remember as much as I can.  It went something like this:

Co-worker 1:  'One of the Housewives are going to be wearing a fat suit.'

Co-worker 2:  'Why?'

Co-worker 1: 'To stop bullying or bring awareness to being fat or something.'

Co-worker 2: 'Huh....'

Me (sarcastically): 'Well thank goodness!  Finally someone that's going to really show what it is to be fat for a few hours and then take it off and then tell the world how mean people are.  Finally, the world will understand!'

Co-worker 1 and 2:  (laughter) 

Co-worker 2: "I've been overweight for at least 20 years.  I even know why.  No, I wasn't molested.  I wasn't unloved by my parents.  I wasn't picked on in school.  I was even a cheerleader at 195lbs believe it or not.  This at a time when thin was totally in.  My parents taught me how to respect myself but we all loved to eat.  Everything was a celebration with food.  Good grades? Food.  Graduation? Food.  Birthday? More food.  I loved it.  Still do."

Co-worker 1:  "When these people go years with a regular job that barely makes ends meet, kids that need this and that, figure out how to prepare a nutritionally balanced meal on a budget with little or no time, then tell me how unfair being overweight is. Not to mention the aches and pains that go with being overweight.  Ain't no fat-suit going to give them that.  Try working 6 months and losing 50 lbs (the hard way), getting an injury because that buff personal trainer didn't believe them when they said they couldn't do it.  Not being able to afford to have it properly looked after and the only advice given was to 'rest'.  Try doing that and gaining two-thirds of it back after a couple of months of no activity. "

Co-worker 2 and me:  (silence)

The conversation went on like this for a while.  There were some really good points made.  One woman admitted that she had never had a weight problem and would never claim she knew how it was to be fat.  Another corrected her saying fat was insulting and that she preferred 'overweight'.  This brought on a whole knew conversation.  I'd say this was one of the more stimulating break room/water cooler conversations I've heard in a while.

It was definitely a better day and I walked away from work feeling like a real adult.  I actually got some work in, had good conversation, and drove home with the windows down welcoming the cooler weather. I even crooned to some Barry White, Marvin Gaye and Luther Vandross.  Needless to say, I was happy to see my hubby when I got home...even if he was stuffy, sneezy, feverish and whiny.  I hugged him, made him tea and made him get in bed.  I took the dogs on a walk as the skies finally started to gray and temperatures dropped.  I was just as excited by the change as they were.  We went to the empty field behind the warehouse near us and ran and played a while.  What a day!  Can you tell I'm really loving my life right now?  It's some kind of wonder....yes it is!

I hope you found some joy in your day.

Quote of the Day:  "I say, if your knees aren't green by the end of the day, you ought to seriously re-examine your life." ~Bill Watterson, Calvin & Hobbes






 

No comments: