Thursday, October 20, 2011

Challenging Morning

Some mornings just start off going in the wrong direction.  Those are the mornings when I rise and just feel an irritation for darned near everything.  This morning it happened again.  I woke up feeling pretty good and noticed light peaking around the curtains.  I looked at the clock to realize it was 7:30 and the dogs have not even so much as whined.  The husband is not there so I'm guessing his killer cold is still keeping him awake. 

I finally got up and found him watching the news.  He said good morning with a smile (an indication that he is feeling pretty good).  I asked if the dogs had gone out and he said no, he forgot.  I was immediately annoyed and silently slip on a sweatshirt over my PJ's and some shoes and head outside.  Sofie decided she'd rather play with a ball than do her business.  Frustration for me.  I had to chase her to put the leash on to come back in.  Baxter decided he would only be forced out of his crate.  I had to pull his blanket out (with him still sitting on it) before he grumpily and slowly (deliberately) walked to the door.  Then the little fart took his time to find just the right spot.  Needless to say, I was beyond annoyed with him.

When I finally got back in realized I was hungry and decided on toast and tea.  I put on the kettle and for some reason decided to put my toast under the broiler at the same time.  While waiting on the whistle, I went to check my email.  About 2 minutes later, the smoke alarm screams.  Not thirty seconds later, the kettle whistles.  Baxter bolts for the bathroom, slamming his little head into it because it's closed.  Sofie starts barking because Baxter's yelp freaked her out.  When it was all said and done, I had burnt toast (my final slice of bread), a whimpering dog and one that wanted just as much attention.  Through it all, the ailing husband who had since gone back to lie down, stayed in bed.  *Sigh*

After scraping my toast I sat down to a pitiful looking breakfast.  I tried to improve it by squirting whipped cream in my black tea.  That helped a little.  The look of cream floating on a hot beverage does something to soothe me.   Anyway, knowing I had a lot of things to do, I headed out early to get gas because I was almost on empty.  Sadly, my frustrations for the morning were not over.  I used my ATM card to pay for the gas and I always choose to receive the receipt.  Well, I don't know that I've ever mentioned that I have a longstanding grudge against any station that is too lazy to fill the receipt dispenser.  It blinked asking if I wanted the receipt, I pushed yes and it rudely reads 'Clerk has Receipt'.  I hate this.  I hate it with a passion.  If  wanted to walking into the store, I would have payed with cash!  Fill the stinking receipt dispenser!

I had intended to make a quick stop at the grocery store to get bread, milk and butter but after this, I decided I should just come back home and do a start-over.  So now I'm sitting here watching Good Morning America and they are showing the 'My Dog Is Better Than Yours' contestants.  Because the dogs aren't cooperating, they now have little kids in Halloween costumes fetching the balls. It's amusing.  I'm sipping lemon tea.  It's good.  My shoulders are no longer bunched in frustration.  I'm starting to relax. 

It's going to be a good day.  I just know it!

Today's quote leads me to believe that I'm not average at all.  Most of my mornings are rather pleasant.

Quote of the Day:  The average, healthy, well-adjusted adult gets up at seven-thirty in the morning feeling just plain terrible. ~Jean Kerr, Please Don't Eat the Daisies, 1957

No comments: