Sunday, October 16, 2011

32 Candles

Before I got to sleep last night the husband and I decided to have an early morning 'date' and go out for breakfast.  Sometimes things just don't go our way.  He was up at 3a.m. pitifully sniffing,sneezing, coughing and sighing (which is his way of whining).  In other words, being a man. I did finally get up and get him some cold medicine, nasal spray and checked him for fever.  Lord knows this might be the reason I don't have kids.  God gave me someone to look after in the same way.  Well needless to say, we didn't make the date.  In fact I got up and put the kettle on and made us both toast, tea and egg whites.  He went back to bed and I (being one who like to avoid illness) made myself comfortable on the sofa with a book I picked up yesterday.

The book is 32 Candles by Ernessa T. Carter.  I started the book at 8:30 am and finished by 12:30.  It was that good.  It's been while since I've read anything that held my attention like this one.  The book was smart, funny, and honest.  Davie is the Afro-wearing, educated, southern, nerdy type that I can relate to.  The only thing I didn't like about it was that it had to end.  This is Ms. Carter's first novel but I have her on my list of authors to read now.  So Ernessa, please, please hurry up and write another book!  I may have to seriously consider crossing another 'To Do' item off of my Mighty Life List.   That item being to host a book club at my home and this book will be the first to review.

Now that I'm done reading, I guess I should find something else to keep me busy.  Hope you all have a great Sunday!

Quote of the Day: You know you've read a good book when you turn the last page and feel a little as if you have lost a friend. ~Paul Sweeney

No comments: