Saturday, October 22, 2011

Creepy Kids

I like kids.  I really do.  I just want to make sure you know this before you read on.  Got it?  OK. So, I was in the library and came to a stopping point to read the summary on a book.  While I'm standing there, a book slides out and falls to the floor.  I look at it and pick it up and put it back. I continue reading.  Another book slides and falls.  Hm....?  I leave it and read on but by now I'm distracted and still thinking about the books.  I'm distracted because I'm a little weirded out.  Now, I don't watch scary movies because I am the biggest chicken around.  Not because the movies themselves are THAT scary but because I have a larger imagination than those writers can ever think of.  Therefore, what's not in the movies happens in my head and scares the crap out of me. So, the fact that these books keep mysteriously falling off the shelf had me thinking all sorts of October-like things.  Ghosts?  I shutter to think of them!  Again, I'm a chicken.  Keep that in mind while you continue to read.

I finally decide to move to another row.  A third book slides and falls.  This time it's directly in front of me.  At this point, I get a chill.  No, it didn't suddenly get cold there. I was just sort of freaked out.  I decide that was all I could take.  I went to put the book back in it's place and there is a face there.  A kid.  OK?  I decided to ignore the kid.  But the little freakish face kept appearing in every gap.  Finally I had to tell myself to calm down.  The only way I was going to get over this was to speak to the kid. I looked back down (it was a lower shelf gap) and she was gone. I turned to leave and discover she's just standing there at the end of the aisle staring at me.  She looks to be about 8 or 9 years old.  Then she finally speaks.  She says, 'Am I freaking you out?'  I immediately say, 'Hell yeah!'.  She giggles and runs away. 

I lost interest in finding a book and went in search of my husband with that kid still on my mind.  As I was searching, she came up behind me and tapped me on the shoulder. I yelled an expletive (luckily at a whisper) and turned around to see her and another girl. She introduced herself at Journey and her sister who I can't quite remember.  They said that I was the only one that indulged in their little game.  She actually said 'indulge'.  She also asked if I was really scared.  I 'indulged' and told her yes, they were freakishly, creepy kids.  They seemed pleased, and said it was nice to meet me and ran off.

Yes, I like kids.  Kids seem to like me.  But I've since learned that some kids freak me the hell out!

No comments: