Thursday, September 8, 2011

We're Eggs and Peas

Eggs and Peas.  Yes, that's my husband and I.  No pods and no chicken.  Just the eggs and peas.

Sometimes there are moments in my life when I know without a doubt that we had to be made for each other.  For instance, this peas and eggs business.  I've loved this particular  breakfast combination for a while.  When people find out, they readily tell me how disgusting it is.  Never mind the fact that they never actually tried it.  I tell them, yes it sounds like an odd combination but it is surprisingly good.  I was never successful in getting them to try it. 

Well, along comes my husband.  He comes along and I have the fortunate opportunity to share several meals with him.  It's no secret that I love him more than I thought I could ever love a non-blood related person.  But this morning reminded me of just one of the reasons I know we are a good pair. 

I was making omelets and he comes in and tosses a handful of frozen peas in.  We look at each and just smile. No words needed. We are both remembering the first time this pea incident happened.  It was while we were dating and he happened to be there for breakfast.  I was a little nervous because I wasn't sure what he would want to eat and it hadn't occurred to me to buy anything outside of what I normally get. I knew he was no oatmeal, cream of wheat, or raisin bran fan.  I found that out the first time I went to New Jersey to visit him and he had purchased all of these but never touched it.  I was rummaging around the fridge and he said he would take an omelet.  I was down with that and asked him what he wanted in it.  He said 'Vegetables'.  Of course this threw me. What kind of vegetable I asked.  He said anything.

I pulled out the onions, tomatoes and peppers.  I told him I usually add spinach or peas to mine.  This is when my 'he's a keeper' alarm went off.  He smiled and said 'I like peas a lot.  Add peas.'  Talk about a moment.  I was so happy with this.  I was happy with him.  After all, I had prayed and prayed and prayed some more asking God to show me a sign that this was the guy for me.  The peas was my sign!

OK. That might be stretching it but it turns out the pea incident was just the beginning of many other 'signs' that led us to wedded bliss.  I think I'm more in love now that I was the day we got married.  I can't even begin to put in words why this is or how it even happened given my previous aversion to commitment but it is.  He helps me find peace at my craziest moments. He gives me a shoulder for the occasional tear.  He refers to my siblings and parents as his own.  And ladies and gentlemen....he likes my dogs.  What more could a girl ask for?

It's a good day to bask in my blessings and give God a great big thanks!  Hope you all have found a moment of peace in your day.  Peace Out!

Quote of the Day:  Better to lose count while naming your blessings than to lose your blessings to counting your troubles. ~Maltbie D. Babcock

No comments: