Monday, September 5, 2011

The Cupcake Situation

As I'm sitting digesting my Labor Day meal, I'm reminded of an email I found a few days ago. I think it totally applies to my current situation. 

"I like food. I love food. I need food. I eat food. I appreciate it and try not to abuse it so that it doesn't abuse me. Have a cupcake...or don't. Do what will make you happy 8 hours from now. If eating it will make you feel guilty(at any level), it's probably not worth it. If you already have a plan in place (like eating much lighter to make up for it) have it! You know me....life is too short to have regrets. "

This was my advice to a friend not too long ago after a 'Cupcake Situation' in the middle of her run in with the Atkins Diet.  I like to joke with her and tell her she is the worst support ever when it comes to discouraging me from making a bad food decision.  And she really is!  But after reading the above statement, I don't think I was the best influence either.  Granted, she's known me long enough to know that there is no way in hell I can honestly hold told her no.  There are some moments in life that are just worth that so called 'bad' food decision. 

In the past, I had been known to beat myself up over an overindulgent treat or two.  I saw it, I wanted it so I had it.  Later (we're talking hours and hours later) I would come to my 'healthy-minded' senses and decide that this was unforgivable.  That's what I use to do.  Now, I feel a little guilt but it has less to do with what I ate and more to do with how I figure I'm going to make up for it.  I guess it's not really guilt.  It's more frustration and viewing it as a step back.  The difference in my approach now is that I try to plan ahead. If there is a weekend breakfast with friends, lunch with my sister or nice dinner with the husband, I make sure I leave room for that particular treat. I'll have a salad for lunch to make up for a heavy dinner or vice versa.  It works for me.

When I think about what I've eaten, I don't really have regrets.  If it was good, I sure as hell remember it and know at some point I will do it again.  I learned a while ago that there is no sense in regretting what I've eaten because it is gone and there is not a lot I can do about it.  If I were one who felt  immediate regret after a bite, I guess I could just stop myself from taking another bite. But obviously I'm not one of those.  If it is good, great, or pure blissful insanity, I count it as a fortunate experience.  One that I can only hope to experience again.

I think I mentioned before that this healthier lifestyle includes working towards a peaceful mind.  If I sat and fretted about everything I ate, I would be going in the opposite direction of peace.  And I don't care what anyone says, sometimes food lifts the mood. More so if you are able to mix it with a good group of friends and/or family.  No, I don't live for food but it is a large part of my life.  After all, it is a necessity.  So, if I'm eating veggies, fruit, grains and everything I can think to be good to my body, I think I can allow myself the occasional treat. 

Cupcakes?  Why don't mind if I do!  I'll leave you now as I enjoy my Labor Day dessert.... chocolate strawberry cupcakes.  Bon Appetit!

Quote for the day: If any man has drunk a little too deeply from the cup of physical pleasure; if he has spent too much time at his desk that should have been spent asleep; if his fine spirits have become temporarily dulled; if he finds the air too damp, the minutes too slow, and the atmosphere too heavy to withstand; if he is obsessed by a fixed idea which bars him from any freedom of thought: if he is any of these poor creatures, we say, let him be given a good pint of amber-flavored chocolate... and marvels will be performed.  ~Jean Anthelme Brillat-Savarin Quotes

No comments: