Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Blue Skies

'Blue skies smiling at me.  Nothing but blue skies do I see...'

While I appreciate this song, I'm inclined to believe that too much of a good thing can get old very quickly. I believe these here blue Texas skies got old about 100+ days ago. I guess I should correct that and say the heat brought on by those blue skies.  I'm watching the live Doppler (brought on by gray skies outside) with hope in my heart that the claim of rain might be stopping in for a visit.   The trusty little meteorologist said there is hail, gusty winds, lightening and rain somewhere near.  The dogs and I are sitting here wishing and hoping and wishing some more.

Oh well.  Even though the 1st day of Fall has come and gone and yet we are still feeling the burn of high temps, I am obligated to find a positive.  One positive is the shopping.  While the big box stores corporate powers that be have put out the word that summer wear must make room for fall, me and my thrifty self benefit.  You see, where their location may be experiencing cooler weather and Fall wear is needed, we are not. So all the 80% off summer wear can be worn right now! I purchased 2 short sleeve tops and some athletic shorts for less than $20 today.   Oh and a $2 pair of sturdy flip flops.  See, a positive!

I'm sure there are several more positives but they aren't coming to me right now.  I think the current gray skies and hope of Fall is blocking them.  I want yellow, orange, red, and brown leaves littering lawns.  I want to go to bed knowing I need to use the warm quilt my Mom gave me.  I want to attend a cold football game that requires blankets and a thermos full of spiked hot chocolate. I want my outdoor workout gear to include long sleeve T's and pants and maybe even earmuffs. Gasp!  I just said 'I want' and 'workout' in the same sentence.  You hear that Fall?  Find us because it's clear I'm losing my mind!

Well, I guess I will need to just be patient. In the meantime, there's nothing that says I can't at least make the house smell Fall-ish.  I'm testing another recipe for my fundraiser.  It's a Pumpkin Bread with Pecan Streusel I found on Ezra Poundcake today.  I saw the picture and it immediately made me wish for Fall.  That and it has pumpkin in it.  You just don't get more Fall than pumpkin! 

Hope you all are having a good day!

Quote of the Day: As a rule man is a fool, When it's hot he wants it cool, When it's cool he wants it hot, Always wanting what is not. ~Anonymous




No comments: