Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Work and Food

While taking a much needed break, I came across this on the front of the HR magazine.  Made me chuckle a bit.  I would like to go on record and say work does not make employees fat.  Employees make employees fat.  Lol.  I hear all sorts of excuses day in and day out about how someone is making someone fat. Someone brings in a cake and there are declarations about how they just have to have a piece.  Or how they had to buy a burger because they didn't like what the cafeteria served.  Or even how they don't bring lunches because they think the break room fridge is disgusting.

I don't blame them though. I used some of the same excuses and even have created some of my own.  But I now work to combat the fat by bringing food that I think is healthier for me. 

Even when groceries are low, I do everything I can to throw together a good lunch.  Here I found about a cup of lettuce and 1/4 tomato.  I didn't think it was enough but the husband reminded me that I had canned beans. I tossed in some rinsed black beans and made a quick yogurt dressing and voila...lunch!

Sometimes I forget to check the clock when getting ready for work each morning.  These are the days I have to take breakfast to work.  Instead of spending $3 for the cafeteria breakfast, I grab a slice of bread, cup of OJ, and some egg whites in a bowl.  When I get to work I microwave the eggs, and toast my bread for a decent breakfast.  

Of course the fruit/yogurt smoothies work well in a pinch.

This was a pitiful substitute for sweet. I really, really wanted a slice of that office cake but refused to give in.  I had to quickly peel an orange.  It did the job but I would be lying if I said I didn't still want the cake.

Leftover's salad.  I'd say I put a little bit of everything in this bowl that I find in the refrigerator.  Chopped lettuce, beans, peas, tomatoes, couscous and top it with vinegar/oil mix.  We don't waste a lot of food in our household so I have a lot of meals like this for lunch.

Yep.  That's a slice of cake on my desk.  I was away on break and came back and there it was.  A co-worker put it there.  It was her birthday.  She said she knew I would refuse so she only gave me a small piece.  Small?!?  That sucker was huge.  I only had one bite. Really!  I would say I was proud of myself but it was not the best cake so it was easy to refuse more bites.

I'm not perfect but I do the best I can for me.  

Quote of the Day: "A nickel's worth of goulash beats a five dollar can of vitamines" ~Martin H. Fischer 


No comments: