Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Edamame Avocado Salad Wrap

While drooling over food pics on Pinterest before work, I came across the Two Peas and Their Pod site recipe for Edamame Avocado Salad Sandwich. I had all the ingredients and I decided I would be having this for my lunch.  I actually threw it together about an hour before leaving for work.  It was fantastic!
I didn't have fresh cilantro but found these cubes I bought a while back. I also substituted bottled lemon juice, distilled vinegar and garlic powder.
Chopped edamame. This is where the preparation shots end.  Time got away from me and I still needed to shower and get dressed for work.  Sorry...
Some cucumber, shredded cabbage and fruit made for a fast lunch.
I had lunch in the break room and ended up printing out the recipe for several people that tried it before I spread it on my flat out bread.  I think it's safe to say this will probably become a regular go-to for fast lunches this summer. 

I had some leftover and used it as a dip for lunch the following day.  I dipped cucumbers, carrots, celery and crackers in it.  Very tasty and filling.

Here is my version of the recipe:

Edamame Avocado Salad

1 /2 cup frozen shelled edamame, thawed
1/2 ripe avocado, peeled and pitted
1/2 tsp. garlic powder
1 green onions, chopped
1 teaspoons white vinegar
1 teaspoons lemon juice
1/2 cilantro cube
1/8 teaspoon wasabi paste
Green tabasco
Salt and pepper, to taste
Bread slices (I use wraps)
Cucumber, Lettuce, or Shredded cabbage for serving, optional

1. Place edamame in a food processor or blender. Pulse a few times to chop up the edamame, you don't want a puree. Scrape the edamame into a bowl. Add the avocado and mash the edamame and avocado together with a fork. 

2. Add in the garlic, green onions, vinegar, lemon juice, cilantro, wasabi, and tabasco. Stir until well combined. Season with salt and pepper, to taste. Spread salad on wrap with cucumber slices, lettuce (or cabbage). Serve. 

Note-The salad is best eaten the day it is made. The salad filling can be kept in the refrigerator for up to 2 days, but it might turn slightly brown due to the avocado. Save the avocado pit and place it in the middle of the salad or add a little extra lime juice to prevent browning.




No comments: