Monday, February 27, 2012

Making Do Rundown

So here we are on day 27 of eating what we have.  We have only shopped for dairy, fresh fruit and veggies and the occasional treat.  I can't believe how much everything stretched.  I also can't believe how much of a grocery shopper I was.  This experiment has definitely taught me a lesson about wasting food and saving money.  I never would have realized this without this test.

Here are some of the pictures I managed to remember to take.  I had every intention of documenting the month (along with recipes) but you know how life gets in the way of well thought out plans.  

I finally roasted the beets and the butternut squash.  I turned out some pretty good soup puree.  Some of it made it to the freezer for future meals.

Because we buy grain in bulk, a majority of the meals had rice, quinoa, millet and pasta.

I even pulled out some dried fruit and nuts along with a veggie juice for some work snacks.

Spaghetti with butternut puree sauce and steamed frozen mixed veggies.

Breakfast was fairly easy.  We always have egg whites, frozen spinach and frozen french bread.  Of course tea finishes any meal well.

Frozen chicken made for many creative dishes.  This lunch was leftover chicken legs (very spicy) chopped and roasted accompanied with rice and steamed frozen veggies. 

I never considered frozen black-eyed peas sauteed with onions, peppers, and tomatoes in a light vinegar sauce.  But the husband was right about the combination.

Spicy California rolls picked up on one of the few grocery trips. Can you tell Baxter is a fan of sushi?

After some heavier, starchy, yet delicious meals, the husband and I are ready for some freshness.  This was today's lunch (enjoyed in the peace and quiet of my car). Very tasty.

I think we did pretty well on this particular journey.  Not only did we save money, but we also came up with some good creative meals that will become regulars on our menu.  This was a fun and eye-opening experiment and I recommend everyone try it at least once. 

Quote of the Day: As a child my family's menu consisted of two choices:  take it or leave it.  ~Buddy Hackett




No comments: