Saturday, March 3, 2012

Because I Deserve It

Quote of the Week:  You always do what you want to do. This is true with every act. You may say that you had to do something, or that you were forced to, but actually, whatever you do, you do by choice. Only you have the power to choose for yourself. ~ W. Clement Stone


I like to remember this quote when things get a little tough and I am on the verge of complaining. I have to remind myself to look at the bigger picture and remember why I'm doing it.  This isn't always the easiest (or most pleasurable) thing to do.  I was discussing this with one of my sisters just the other day.  She called me at work (while she was 'working' ) saying she needed to vent.  I'm a good listener and she takes full advantage of it.  It went a little something like this:


Sister:  I hate my job.
Me:  What are you doing to find another one.
Sister:  I don't have time to be filling out applications.
Me:  Then I guess you don't really hate your job now do you?
Sister:  Whatever.  I went to the Dr. and I gained like 15 lbs.
Me:   And what are you going to do about that?
Sister:  Why can't you just pity me for a second?
Me:  Will that change anything you just complained about?
Sister:   You are not my therapist! Stop answering me with questions!  
Me:  OK.  Just pray on it and try to view everything from the positive side.  You stay at your job because you like your co-workers.  You've gotten some good friendships out of it.  And as far as the gaining weight thing.  You weren't aware that you had gained and the office scale gave you that knowledge.  With knowledge comes the power to change it. 
Sister:  What is it with you and the Mary Poppins positive stuff?!?  
Me:  Ain't nothing wrong with Mary Poppins.  She gave those kids sugar.  I'm giving you a sweeter way of looking at life!
Sister:  (laughing) Whatever.  You're crazy.


At the end of that day, I found myself complaining a little myself.  I was dreading the crossfit workout and after realizing we would be outside, I groaned and told my friend I was just not feeling it.  She reminded me that it was for our own good.  I agreed saying that it was my choice to do this so there was no point in complaining.  I was still dreading it but that reminder helped pushed me around the track.


So I'm sitting here relaxing today because I think I deserve a relaxing day and treat.  I'm fully aware that I worked my calves, abs, and arms.  I'm aware because I feel the soreness.  I'm thankful that I got through yet another workout where I pushed beyond what I thought my body could do.  It feels pretty good.  


It feels even better to reward myself with a rich dessert.  I don't do much of those nowadays and try to limit myself to fruit or sorbets.  I'm addicted to Pinterest and I've drooled over enough food pics to finally try some of them.  Last night I did the No-Bake Nutella Cheesecake.  I made a few substitutions to try to reduce the fat.  I don't know how well I did but the result were mighty tasty. 


I finally pulled out the dessert glasses and finally got rid of that Pralinutta spread.  I filled the glasses and chilled them.

The results after refrigerating all night.  Baxter is licking his chops from afar (see the ears).
Not to be outdone, Sofie got brave and close.  Don't worry...no chocolate for my doggies. 
It was sinfully delicious!

I recommend you try this as a special once a month treat.  I got the original recipe here.  My revamped recipe is below.

No Bake Chocolate Hazelnut Cheesecakes

Ingredients:
For the Crust
2 pkgs  100 calorie Oreo Thin Crisps, crushed
For the Filling
1 (8 ounce) package fat free cream cheese, softened
1/2 cup Pralinutta (or Nutella or whatever hazelnut spread you desire)
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1 (8 ounce) tub fat free frozen whipped topping, thawed (I used just a little over half the container)
For the Garnish
whipped topping, optional
strawberries or raspberries
Directions:
1. Crush the thin crisps in the bags and evenly divide the crumbs between your individual serving dishes form a crust layer.
2. In a large bowl, with an electric mixer, beat the cream cheese and hazelnut spread until smooth. Add vanilla and mix to combine. Using a rubber spatula, fold in the whipped topping until well blended and no streaks remain.
3. Evenly pipe or spoon the filling into individual serving dishes. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 2 hours before serving (or overnight).
4. If desired, garnish with additional whipped topping or fruit.



Enjoy!


No comments: