Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Barbara Made a Liar Out of Me

There are many things I'd like to talk about but honestly, the only thing on my mind is my thighs, arms, abs...heck...my entire body.  It's not exactly aching or hurting.  I'm just aware that  it's waiting to do something.  Possibly show me the hurt tomorrow.  Probably. 

I didn't really feel like working out today.  In fact my alarm sounded at 5am and I hurriedly slapped it off thinking it would wake the husband and he would take that as a sign that I wanted to hit the gym.  I realized about a second after this action that he was already awake and out of bed.  Curses! I lay there and thought about getting up.  You know what?  I didn't.  I lazed in bed another 30 minutes before he opened the bedroom door and just stood there looking at me.  I said, 'What? Did you want to workout?'  He shrugged and said no, got undressed and lay back down too.  I thought I was off the hook when he said, 'I'm working out later while you are at Crossfit.'  Well, I guess that's that.

All day I kept trying to decide if 'I don't feel like it' was a good enough reason to not go to class.  At about 3:30 I realized I had a headache and almost used that as an excuse.  Luckily (luckily?) my morning workout buddy came to me saying she too was going to the afternoon class but forgot her shoes and only had boots.  She needed to know if anyone had a spare pair.  I didn't immediately speak up because I'm not in the habit of sharing shoes.  That and I think my feet is a half size larger than hers.  She made the rounds and no one had any.  I finally gave in and she gladly took them.  I decided since she had my shoes she was probably expecting me to make an appearance.  I popped an Excedrin and prayed the headache would magically vanish before 5:15.  It did. 

We walked in and on the board was the workout of the day.  It was titled 'Barbara: Benchmark'.  I joked and said 'Whoever this Barbara is I'm almost sure she doesn't expect us to do all that.'  We laughed.  I was wrong.  Barbara +The Sgt indeed expected it.  In case you're interested, the Barbara Benchmark is as follows:

Five rounds, each of:

20 Pull-ups
30 Push-ups
40 Sit-ups
50 Squats

Rest precisely three minutes between each round (I didn't know anything about this 3 minute rest business! I don't recall him saying it was OK to rest! I feel cheated. Hmph!)

Once we got started, I repeatedly used the work CAN'T before realizing Barbara had made a liar out of me.  Lo and behold I started paying attention to what I was doing and I did it!  I did it all. Can you believe that?!?  It was awesome but I've discovered that me and pull-ups have serious issues with each other.  I really need to practice those.  But my bar partner made the comment that we have both made great strides with our push-ups.  She ain't lying.  On one of the switches from bars to push-up, I said, 'I never thought I'd be happy to be doing a push-ups.  It beat the hell out of that pull-up!'  Sgt like that.

I was so impressed with my skill and then Barbara was done and the Sgt was back in charge.  He had that smile. We all met the mats and he proceeded to torture us with butterflies, planks, and....I don't even know the names of half the insane moves he seemed to think we could all do.  All I know was I tried each one and my form was probably not there for them all but I did my best and I walked with a wobble to my car.  It was good.

Funny how I know each class is gonna be hard but I just keep on going back for more.  Maybe I'm getting the hang of things.  Or maybe I've finally lost my mind. Whatever gets me there.

That's all folks!  Have a good night.

No comments: