Wednesday, February 1, 2012

29 Days of Making Do

'We can make do with what we've got.'  That's what my parents use to say when the funds ran low.  As an adult, I understand it now.  With the new year, we've taken stock of our lives and where we could do more and also where we could do with much less.  The husband mentioned that we have things in the freezer, fridge and pantry that needs to be used before it goes bad.  He's much better at that sort of thing than I am.  I'll say 'Let's go grocery shopping.'  He'll say, 'There's no need. We have food here.'  I'll roll my eyes and think, 'But I don't want to cook!'  He must know that look because he almost always shrugs and says, 'Don't worry yourself. I'll cook something. You'll like it.'  And I always do. 

So I'm jumping on his wagon of frugality and trying 29 days of cooking only what we have in house.  Of course I will still make a weekly trip for milk, OJ, eggs and yogurt.  I figure it's a leap year, why not.  I like the sound of 29 days.  To start, I had to take stock of what we have. That meant pulling out the camera and shamelessly showing you the disorganized state of my kitchen.

Our small chest freezer is pretty well stocked.  I found fish, chicken, beef, peas, edamame, and several bags of veggies.  There are also containers of leftover lasagna, enchiladas, okra sauce and attieke.  Yep, I don't think we we'll be going hungry anytime soon.

The fridge freezer main part is pretty minimal.  We've run out of low-fat ice cream and have eaten most of the frozen muffins.  All that's left are a few bags of go-to veggies and whipped cream. 



The fridge freezer door is mostly designated for baking items like nuts, chocolate, pastry etc.  And yes, I do freeze leftover sweetened condensed milk.  I don't use it enough to store leftovers in the cooler.

The cooler of the fridge leaves a lot to be desired but the leftovers will keep us a few days.  This is basically what it looks like at all times.  We try to keep milk, eggs, OK, cottage cheese and leftovers.

The door of the fridge seems to be the catch-all for condiments and bags of half-used grain.  Again, it always looks this way.  Nothing much ever changes.  I do see pesto in there....hm...pasta?

That brings us to the pantry.  Please don't judge for the disorganized look.  I know where everything is.  Really.  Plenty of cans, grains and such.  Now that I look at this section, I think maybe I ought to revisit the idea of spending an hour or so of my day organizing.  Could be quite a few discoveries to be had here.
This top shelf is reserved for things that were bought on a whim.  Not used often but I'm guessing they will be making an introduction on our dinner table (or lunch boxes) soon.                                                                                                                                                       

The floor also serves to hold several staples. This place is very short on storage so every bit of space counts. Though I've put in an order with my Dad to make me a potato bin. He's designing me a nice slimline one just for apartment living. This hold most of our root veggies and large bagged staples. Rice is the main staple for my husband.


The fridge top is the tea station.  Well....some of it.  Those pictured are my recent attempt at spending less on this wonderful beverage.  They aren't too bad but I still have my favorites and I can't imagine I won't splurge on a good tin or two.
The spice cabinet? There's plenty. That is something we always keep stocked because there's nothing worse than cooking only to realize you are out of salt, pepper or garlic powder. At least in Tex-Mex cooking there's nothing worse. Lol.


And there you have it.  Twenty nine days of making do.  I think we can do it.


Quote of the Day:  Without frugality none can be rich, and with it very few would be poor.” ~ Samuel Johnson quotes


No comments: