Sunday, February 5, 2012

Push-Ups and F.L.O!

I've been pushing through a bummer lately.  I've been working out, trying to watch what I eat and keep a positive attitude through it all.  I'm bummed because I want to see results now.  Like NOW!  I know that's a bit dramatic and it took longer to put the weight on than it's taking me to take it off.  It's unrealistic to think I will start to melt and harden in a few weeks.  But you know we all think this.  We start working out and start to feel so much better and leaner and then BAM!; we look in the mirror and not a lot has changed.  How can the mind change and not the body? Wah, wah, wah....bummer.  I'll get over it.  I just wanted to whine about it for a minute or two.

Anyway, I don't know that I've mentioned this before but the hubs has been very supportive in everything I try to combat the fat.  Any workout I try, he's all for it.  He will even leave the room so I can jump and prance my way through a dance workout because he thinks I'm self conscious.  I'm not....at least not in front of him. So since I've started Crossfit, he's seen my excitement build and vows to help me keep up the motivation.  So far, so good.

I sat thinking last night about what I typically hear on a weekday morning.  'Go!', 'Push through it!', 'Finish what you start!', 'Don't let weak defeat!', 'Come on... you can do better than that!' That is a combination of comments from the Sgt and the Hubs.   The husband and I have recently discovered that my body can do more than my mind thinks it can.  Not all the time but most of the time.  If I get my head in the right place I can push past that popping thought that I can't do it. When I do it I'm both amazed and ecstatic.  He's witnessed my struggle and victory and says that from here on out, he will make sure I get to the point where I am completely satisfied after a workout.  Seems he was being easy on me before.  He's been true to his word.  I do appreciate it.  I really do.  I don't always show it when I'm grunting and sweating but after I'm done, I thank him.  I've even gotten to the point where I set a mindful goal before setting foot in the gym (or my workout space before the TV) and I won't stop until I've reached it.  They aren't unreachable in case you are wondering.  No, they are things like I will do 5 more pushups or situps than I did previously.  Baby steps. 

I saw this YouTube clip of Ellen and the First Lady doing pushups. It is so awesome to see a First Lady take responsibility and be a model for fitness.  Man oh man I wish I had that woman's arms! I'm hoping with my baby step goals, I'll eventually get to the Sgt's 50 pushup requirement without half killing myself. Can 50 pushups give me those arms? Can't hurt to try.  Wish me luck!



No comments: