Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Day 14 (Soup)

The husband and I are still holding to the 29 day goal of eating what we have.  I'll admit that I've fallen behind on using things from the crisper simply because I've don't remember what recipe I had in mind when I bought them. I located slightly wilted kale in the crisper this weekend.  I decided to make soup.  I've made this one before but used a few substitutions to keep from going out to shop. It turned out OK.

Kale, Sausage and Lentil Soup

2 Turkey Italian Sausage
1 tsp minced garlic
1/2 C thinly sliced onion
1/2 C lentils
1 1/2 C water
1 1/2 C chicken broth
2 C kale (stems and ribs discarded) thin sliced
1 tsp. red pepper flakes
Balsamic vinegar


I always jot down my recipes on scratch paper because I make a mess of a good recipe book.

I'm not sure the sausage I used today was turkey or not. The freezer bag was not labeled (shame on me). I don't think it was because there was plenty of oil after browning them.  But that was no problem as the onions and garlic sauteed well in it. 
I didn't have any prepared chicken stock left so I used half a boullion cube in a cup and a half of hot water.  Probably more sodium than I need but it's what I had.

The broth, lentils and water are added to the sauteed onions. 
I used red lentils ((masoor dal) instead the brown because that's what I had.  Because they are peeled and split, they break down faster.  But they thickened the soup so nicely.  Think I'll continue using those as a thickener. Isn't that kale pretty?
I vowed to use the condiments packages sitting in the jar on the counter.   
The red pepper was a nice touch for this soup. 
Bon Appetit!

Quote of the Day: "I'm sick of 'soup of the day'. It's time we made a decision, I want to know what 'soup from now on' is.” - Mitch Hedberg.

No comments: