Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Taste of Tuesday

I rose this morning desperate to hang on to that Monday Motivation.  We were up at 5 a.m. and out in the cold to complete a 3 mile walk in the dark.  Sure, we could have gone to the gym but I convinced the husband that I needed something a little different than the gym.  I knew going in there would only make me revert back to my 'doing it out of guilt' workouts.  In other words, stick with the same thing and not really push hard enough to make a difference.  This is not to say I do that all the time.  No, I just was not feeling it this morning. 

So we threw on sweats, skull caps (scarf for me as there is not a beanie big enough for my fro) and fleece.  You know the good thing about working out in the cold is it makes you move faster.  It was a chilly 41 degrees and we made quick time of our walk.  We kept to the sidewalks and circled the businesses as they were well lit.  I had a little trouble keeping up with the speeding man beside me but I didn't complain.  This was my idea after all.  We finished in about 40 minutes and that included our slower warm up and stretch.  By the way, I don't like to stretch.  I do it because it's wise but I still don't like it.  I don't like to shower either but of course that's necessary too.  Anyway, it was a good workout and I was wide awake and ready for the day afterwards.

Because I didn't have that much of an appetite (don't know what was going on there ) I decided to just whip up a good ole green smoothie.  I didn't have any fresh spinach so I chipped a chunk from the frozen block to use.  I always have frozen bananas so I was good to go.  While I was at it, I pulled together some leftovers and fridge staples for my lunch.  I think it was pretty decent.  Besides, by lunch I was so hungry anything sounded good.  I always say if you want simply bland healthy food to taste great, be hungry when it's time to eat it.  Don't believe me?  Try it.

I would like to say my work day was full of motivation but I'd only be lying.  It was hard to go back after 5 days and the traffic didn't help.  By the time I got there, I was back at 'not feeling it'.  I tried singing and talking to myself to get a pumped up feeling but nothing was working.  When I finally hit the parking lot, all of my usual spots were taken so I had to park farther away.  One good thing that came from it was the fact that I was parked next to the Trooper gathering. I had never seen them all gathering outside before.  Their hands were joined and heads were bowed.  I stopped my pitying long enough to say a small prayer of my own.  I don't know what it was about seeing it, but it gave me a little push to get moving. 

The day went well.  When my husband asked me how my day went, I told him I started out with five fingers of energy.  By the time lunch hit, I was at three.  I coast on the three fingers till about three o'clock.  From there I quickly dropped two fingers and held on till five o'clock by that one finger.  I was tired and worn by the time I hit my sofa at 6pm.  It was at that point my sister called and I let her know that I was not pregnant as we were thinking.  The River was late but it arrived in true energy sapping Diva style. 

Luckily the husband read between the lines in my text and had a good dinner and a smile waiting for me when I got home.  My puppies had plenty of love to give as well.  They all know when I need some TLC and I'm thankful to have them to give me just what I need.

It's not even 9:30 but I'm on the slippery slope to sleep.  It's been a good day but I think I'm going to surrender to seven hours of the sublime sleep.


Today's Meals

Quote of the Day: “Now if you are going to win any battle you have to do one thing. You have to make the mind run the body. Never let the body tell the mind what to do. The body will always give up. It is always tired morning, noon, and night. But the body is never tired if the mind is not tired. When you were younger the mind could make you dance all night, and the body was never tired...You’ve always got to make the mind take over and keep going.” ~George S. Patton, U.S. Army General and 1912 Olympian

No comments: