Saturday, April 2, 2011

My War

I did my workout this morning alone. The husband has not been sleeping well lately so it was a good morning for him to sleep in.  I decided to try my hand at the programmed workouts on the treadmill.  Boy!  What the heck was I thinking!  Did you know when you straddle the belt and look down, it looks like it's going at a ridiculously high speed?  Well, don't do it because it unnerves you.  I almost decided it would be too hard but then I actually looked at the monitor to see it was only 2.1 mph.  Shoot, that's just a stroll!  Once I worked up the nerve to jump on, I was ok.  It was a  good workout.  It pushed me pretty good for about 20 minutes.  That was about all I was willing to do because I had also wanted to work on my inclines.  So, after that program was over, I followed my own guide for working my legs.  It was so good.  I sweat more than I have previously and as you well know, that's pretty satisfying.  I highly recommend it to those who want a good cardiovascular workout without the speed. 

Realizing I did some emotional eating this week, I am back on track. It was a hard week. I know it's the weekend but that doesn't matter. On this journey, each day counts. There is no beginning and there is no end. In the past, when I would slip up, I would just tell myself that I will start over 'next week' or use it as a New Year's resolution or 'by my birthday i'm going to...'. While I was waiting on that new beginning, I was eating my fill, lazing on the couch; doing much of nothing. But now, in my mind's eye, it is a war that has many battles. In this war I realize I will sometimes lose a battle or two but I know I can drag myself back to the frontline and continue to fight. It's just a matter of when I do it. I think people tend to forget that. We do so well at the beginning. Following the plan to a T and keeping track. We might even do a jumping jack or two. But the minute we fall off, we view that as a failure and the entire plan is a bust. Then if we do get back on it, we view it as starting all over. Why does it have to be a 'start over'? Why can't it just be a continuance? After all, if we've battled weight and health for years, it will always be a battle. In my opinion, this war is never over. There will be many battles. I might even lose a few of them. But that war? It's mine baby!

So, I'm gonna relish any muscles soreness that comes and continue to explore new workouts.  I will continue to work to overcome my doubts and my fears of what I can do.  I'll keep reminding myself of my accomplishment and continue to get excited about the next challenge.  

Quote for the day:
It's not who you are that holds you back, it's who you think you're not.

No comments: