Saturday, June 30, 2012

Picture Perfect Parents

I've been working on putting together a decent family album.  I came across my some pictures of my parents.  These shots were when they were dating.  How cute are they?!?  I'm not sure that many kids mooned over their parent's dating pictures the way I did.  These were always my favorites.  I'll bet you think it has to do with the whole idea of them being in love and all that jazz.  Well, not exactly.  I've always been a fan of classic cars and I was/am totally in love with this car.

Each time I see these pictures I feel the urge to call my Dad and drill him asking again and again why he didn't think about me before selling this beauty.  Lol.  Over the years he's given me different reasons. My earliest memory of his explanation was that he had to trade it in to pay the kidnappers that took me.  I was young but knew a classic tall tale when I heard one.

As I got older, I found other reasons to like these pictures. Never having been one for current fashion trends, I was crazy for the clothes they wore.  And I absolutely adored my Mom's hair.  Other than that I was secretly proud to have such good-looking parents.  Sure, they weren't so cool when disciplining us, helping us with homework, making us clean or sit still in church but whenever I looked at these images I always imagined they were the jet-setting, popular couple that movies are made of.

I am very fortunate to have had a good relationship with my parents. I miss my Mom but can still smile and even laugh at some of the conversations we shared.  When me and my Dad get together we share a few tall tales (lies) and more than a few belly laughs.  And when I look back on these pictures I feel like a kid again sitting there admiring my own personal heroes.

No comments: