Monday, June 4, 2012

Hungry Work

Today was crazy busy.  My desk looked like someone dumped a box of paper on it.  And we are supposed to be paperless!  Everything was a priority and needed to be done at about the same time.  I tried three times to take a break but the phone would ring, my manager would stop me or someone needed help with something.  By the time I finished with each, I successfully forgot that I was going to break.  Luckily I am prepared for these moments.  Unlike those around me who resort to the snack bar or the vending machine, I have a desk full of snacks that help get me through a rumbling stomach.  Today's snacks included nuts and fruit.

 This is a mix of pecans, peanuts, walnuts, almonds, sunflower seed, dried cranberry and semi-sweet dark chocolate.  A handful of this and I'm good for a while.  I don't know how healthy it is but it beats a candy bar any day.  I do only limit myself to a quarter cup and I generally use it when I'm craving something sweet.




I always try to get some fresh fruit as often as possible.  I mean, who doesn't crave a nice bowl of chilled fruit in the summertime?  This is one of my favorites that I had at lunch today.  Watermelon, blackberries, grapes and mango.  Yummo!








This is a snapshot of my bottom desk drawer.  It's just a random mix of things.  There is fruit of course.  There's an egg for my pre-workout, peanut butter, dried fruit (including prunes), yogurt drink shots, mixed nuts, green tea powder.  Of course I don't eat all of this in one day.  I just like to have it there when I need to fight the offers of cake, cookies, candy and other craziness.

I happened to have my drawer opened today and the co-worker who's always accusing me of depriving myself saw it.  She proclaimed, 'Wow.  That's why you can say no to all the temptations around here!'  I guess she's right.  

The Quote of the Day is just plain funny:   “I opened-up a yogurt, underneath the lid it said, "Please try again." because they were having a contest that I was unaware of. I thought maybe I opened the yogurt wrong. ...Or maybe Yoplait was trying to inspire me... "Come on Mitchell, don't give up!" An inspirational message from your friends at Yoplait, fruit on the bottom, hope on top.”~Mitch Hedberg





No comments: