Tuesday, August 23, 2011

The 'Wannabe'

I think I'm a wannabe. Yep. I'm sure I am. 

I want to be that person confidently jogging the trail, sweating but not panting and grunting for a sip of air. I want to be that person killing time on the elliptical without holding on.  I want to be that person that runs the track and afterwards hangs out on the grassy area doing crunches, lunges, push ups, pull ups and other insane moves....just because I can.  I want to be that person that can do all of these things because I love doing it. Can I get there? Probably.  Do I want to put in the work? Well...now that is where it gets tricky. 

I think I've noted before that I wish I were one of those people that liked working out ALL the time. I do like working out. But that 'like' is usually felt after the workout.  Most of the time it comes from realizing I did what I previously thought I couldn't do. Again, it all falls after I'm done.  How can I get that feeling before I workout?  I have my husband who's subtle suggestions of doing 'one more round' or '15 more minutes' push me to slightly higher levels.  But what do I do about it when he's not there?  I've tried upbeat music and it helps only occasionally. On those barely motivated days, the music only serves to annoy me.  I've tried putting quotes near me (post-its on the TV, treadmill or elliptical) that motivate but sometimes I read them and feel guilty because I know the will is not there and the message has not penetrated my stubborn and lazy mind.

Oy! What's a girl to do?  I'll just keep plugging away until something miraculous happens to get me there. Though, now that I think about it, a few years ago I was wishing and hoping I could be where I am now...pretty happy, making an effort to stay healthy and being fairly confident in myself. Hm....well, that's a revelation. OK.  I think I get it now.  Find a goal, work towards it and keep dreaming.

I know you think I'm crazy but sometimes writing it all out bring the answer that I've been looking for.  

Have a good day!

Quote of the Day:  The act of putting pen to paper encourages pause for thought, this in turn makes us think more deeply about life, which helps us regain our equilibrium. ~Norbet Platt




No comments: