Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Being The Exception

So a friend and I were watching the news and happened up on a report following the weight gain trend of couples (Marriage, Divorce Lead to Risky Weight Gain - ABC News ).  My friend jabbed me jokingly stating that I've only been married a full year and some months and that the weight gain would surely come soon. This was not the first time I have heard this comment.  Though it was nicer than some. There are also the ones that tell me because I waited so 'late' to get married, I would gain weight and never lose it.

As the husband and I were working out, I got to thinking about these comments. Would I gain weight simply because I was married?  Then of course I answered myself with a hefty 'Hell No!'  I have a theory.  For years I did a fine job of gaining weight all buy myself.  And yes, the report mentioned that a single woman living alone was among the heavier ones. I might agree with that. When I was single and living alone, I just didn't feel like physically getting up off my butt for a long time.  But then I got a dog and that changed things a little.  But that's beside the point. Back to being married.  I'm healthier now than I ever was single or dating. I mentioned to the husband that I figured it all out! He of course had no idea what I was talking about. I had to explain.

I explained that I had been wondering why it is that I am always up for working out with him no matter how tired, lazy or irritable I felt.  It is because I actually like spending time with him.  He's definitely not one to push me to do something.  I know if I said I don't feel like working out, he would just shrug and let it go.  Don't get me wrong, he will remind me of my goals if he's in the mood. But there are times when a little voice is telling me it would be best for me to lounge on the sofa, eating something sweet or salty and watch a TV show I've been missing.  It happens. But I've recently found the idea of hanging out with this awesome person (my husband) generally beats out the 'let's be lazy' voice.  And I'm glad of it.

I told my friend this a couple of hours ago on the phone. She said, 'Well, then I guess you two will be the exception.'  I said yes we will be.  I see nothing wrong with being the exception to that particular rule.  Do you?  Just because someone says it is so, doesn't make it the rule and everyone has to fall in line with it. There are several areas in my life that I am making it a point to be the exception. Why the heck should I have to be like everyone else if it doesn't appeal to me? 

So the hubby and I are just going to keep on doing what we've been doing. We understand the importance of eating clean and being physically fit and I don't see that changing anytime soon.

Quote of the day: "If it ain't broke, don't fix it' is the slogan of the complacent, the arrogant or the scared. It's an excuse for inaction, a call to non-arms.”~Colin Powell

No comments: