Thursday, August 11, 2011

Through It All, I Smile

OK. So the powers that be have decided that I should kick my 21 Day action plan into high gear. It has indeed been a roller coaster day of emotions. But I must say, I think I did okay.  I got up in a chipper mood. Found that the husband had already taken the dogs out to do their business. I was feeling so good, I decided Sofie and I would go hit the trail. She pulled and barked at any and everything and was threatening my mood. In fact, she did crack it.  I was so annoyed with her, I picked up my pace after realizing she was getting tired. Yep...I did it and almost got away with it. Then guilt set in.  She only barks to protect me...uhm...herself.  Can't blame a girl for keeping her dukes up right?  So, after a while I let it go and we slowed to a fast walk instead of the jog. 

Then mid morning, I decided it was time to get some groceries. I went to the bank and because Walmart was next door, decided to fill my grocery list there. Wrong!  I got as far as the Advil and Vitamin B-12 before deciding I couldn't do it. There were so many people and kids there. All seemed to be congregating where I needed to be. I had forgotten school is about to start.  I payed for my loot and high-tailed it out of there.

Fast forward to H-E-B grocery. I had to pick up meds.  I stood in line for about 5 minutes before this little older lady comes and steps in front of me. I politely said, 'Excuse me, I'm in line.'  She screwed her full-of-character (aka wrinkled) face at me and rudely said,  'I was here first but forgot something' and turned around. I was so taken aback.  My 1st instinct was to tell her where she could go but then I talked to myself.  I said, 'Self, she's older. Probably had a hard life from the looks of it. Are you in a hurry?'  I told myself she was ancient, angry and I was in no hurry. So, I did nothing. Well....I told her the next time she leaves the line to get something, she should put a grocery cart there to hold her place because likely she won't come across someone as nice as me!  She scoffed and turned around. Whatever.

After retrieving the medicine, I pulled out my list to shop.  I was doing so well smiling and taking my time. This gift of time is great for shopping.  I had time to pick out the best produce, the latest expiration date on the dairy and sample the sushi.  I made it out of there with no more scrapes with the long-living set.

I spent the rest of the day reading, applying for jobs, cooking and some light cleaning.  Somewhere along the way, I started feeling less than chipper. No reason.  I checked the calendar and more than likely, it has to do with the Big H. Yep...hormones.  I really gotta find a way to soothe that savage beast.  In any case, the husband chose today to walk home instead of calling to let me know he was done.  He comes in and wants to know if I want to hit the trail. I told him he can't be playing with this type of heat. He already walked 30 minutes to get home carrying a heavy backpack and nothing to drink.  Besides, it was so obvious he wanted to swim.  He told me he feels bad getting exercise and me not getting any. Well, it's not like it's his fault if I don't hit the gym when he's not here.  So, I kicked him to the pool while I finished dinner.   While he was gone, I sat and sulked and whined and finally picked up my book to finish reading it.  That was a mistake because the kid in the story died and that made me tear up.  But all was not lost.

I happened to get up to check on dinner and Baxter was at my feet. He's sitting there with his left paw protecting one toy and his right protecting the other. Ears are standing at attention and he's watching Sofie who is crouched across the room intently staring at him.  She stares and then seems to lose interest and starts licking herself.  I look at Baxter and he seemed confused by her lack of interest. I had to laugh at that.

Then my husband came back after his swim and again  asked if I wanted to workout. I rolled my eyes at him and told him to go and shower already.  He goes in and gets out of his swim trunks.  I walked in on him in the bedroom.  I burst out laughing and he was confused.  I asked him if he's always worn underwear with his swim trunks. He said yes.  I smiled and walked away.

So, the point of all of this is that no matter how down I get (even when there is no reason), if I look hard enough, I will always find something to smile about.

No comments: