Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Rowing and Two Shoes

Mix-matched shoes and a bundle of nerves.
I made a commitment to a coworker last week and this morning I stuck to it.  I promised her that I would show up to work at 6:15am for the hour long workout everyone keeps saying is killer but fabulous.  She's about 100 lbs and is a runner.  I'm far from 100 in the alleged wrong direction and I'm walking to boot!  Well, she heard I've been dedicated to moving while on breaks and lunches and asked if I wanted to join her.  Being my normal grab 'em by the horns self, I immediately said yes.  I was feeling pretty good about it too.  She said we'd get started first thing Tuesday morning since Monday was a holiday.

Monday came and I was still confident that I had made a good decision.  Then Monday night when I was getting my things together (workout clothes, shoes, lunch, etc) I  started to have doubts.  I know, I know.  Try as I might, I can't always shake the boogers.  So anyway, I was having doubts thinking I might not be able to hang and everyone there would probably be military fit (as that's how they train for the job) and would be looking cross eyed at me for ruining their picture perfect fitness machine group.  I worried so much that I tossed and turned all night.  At about 3:30am my husband asked me if I was asleep.  I said yes.  He said I couldn't be because I wasn't snoring and I answered him with no hint of drowsy.  Man, his English is getting so much better!  He knew I was worried and pulled me close telling me not to worry and it was normal to be nervous about trying something harder.  I felt better.

My alarm sounded at 5:15am.  I rose and got dressed and was out with the reluctant puppies in no time. Cold temps makes my fur-babies find a drop spot very quickly.  I had a quick breakfast and was on the road by 6.  I arrived at 6:20 but my buddy was nowhere to be found.  The receptionist lady said to just go to the gym.  I was this close to throwing in the towel and excusing my way back to the car.  Luckily (I think) another lady from the class happened to be passing and took me under her muscular wing.  I walked in that place and immediately felt the doubt come soaring back.  I swear everyone in that class must have been troopers.  Buzz cuts, fit bodies and shorts.  This was not good...not good at all.  Then they all start pulling these machines from the wall.  I didn't even know what the things were! Surely I was in the wrong class.  My muscular mama showed me how to set up and encouraged me to do the best I could.  She was so nice!

I gave the drill instructor (OK, the trainer) my waiver and told him it was my first time. He explained the morning group was the more advanced class (Crap!).  To which I asked, 'So....should I not be here or try another class?'  He said, 'No, you will stay and do the best you can.'  That shut my mouth and before you knew it I was rowing, lunging and sitting up with the rest (best) of them.  My buddy showed up 10 minutes late and took a spot next to me.  We did OK.  We made it through the entire class without once stopping.  Sure our intensity was half that of everyone else's but we kept going.  I had a blast.  Question is, will I feel the same way tomorrow?  Lol. 

We showered and changed and it was then that I realized just how nervous I was the night before.  I packed two different shoes.  Needless to say I was wearing sneakers with my business casual outfit.  Thank goodness I chose slacks instead of a skirt!  I'm back tomorrow morning for more.  No rowing but I'm sure it will be just as taxing.  Here's to trying hard things and coming out feeling better for it!

Quote of the Day: “If at first you do succeed, try something harder”

No comments: