Sunday, January 22, 2012

Blissful Ignorance

Blissful ignorance.  Is there such a thing?  I think so.  At least I believe it when I'm referring to my weekend discovery.  Yes, once again I've gone and stuck my head where it shouldn't be.  I probably would've been better off mentally had I not learned what I did today.

As y'all know, I've been doing the workouts at work.  They are hard but I feel rewarded each time I make it through the entire workout without stopping.  I don't know that you've noticed but I never actually used the name of the program.  That's simply because I didn't know what it was.  I was just going because I heard it was a kick-butt workout and I needed someone to push me harder and give me new technique.  Well Friday afternoon, a coworker asked me about it.  She came up and said, 'So, how are you liking Cross Fit?' I told her it was hella hard but I was really enjoying it.  She said if I did an afternoon class she might be joining me.  I was all for it since I was planning on trying the late one anyway.  After she left, I pulled up the company wellness site to view the program but got busy with work.  I tucked the name in the back of my mind and told myself to research it later at home.  When I got home I mentioned to my husband that someone wanted to go with me in the afternoon and I told him I finally learned the name of the program. He nodded absently and continued with his homework.

I didn't think about it again until today.  My husband asked me if I was still sore and I said of course.  He then dropped some knowledge on me that I really wished he hadn't.  After we talked the day before, he googled Cross Fit and learned what it was about.  He took it upon himself to tell me all about it.  Folks, I'm confident about most things but hard working out is not one of them.  I went online to check it out myself and lo and behold he was right. Cross Fit is no walk in the park.  It is a strength and conditioning brand that combines weightlifting, sprinting, gymnastics, powerlifting, kettlebell training, plyometrics, rowing, and medicine ball training.  There are some great before and after shots but they had to work their butts off to get there.  Now don't get me wrong, I work hard but I just figured it was harder because I was just out of shape.  After watching some video, I decided this program will not be getting any easier.  Sure the endurance and strength will come but with it comes more intensity and seems like there will be no easy glide at any point.

Now, remember that nervousness I had before the 1st day?  It's back.  I gotta start all over again with the positive affirmations and 'never quit' attitude. 

We hit the trail today and I found myself wishing and hoping we would take the easy route.  No such luck.  The husband says if I'm nervous about the program being hard, I need to work that much harder at home to be able to keep up with everyone else.  I know he's right but damned If I'm going to say it.  Our workout this evening was hard for me.  We did some sprinting and I was sure I wouldn't make it.  Add to that I had to potty but it was at least a mile away.  I held it and was just desperate enough that once we made it to that point, I got over my disgust of public restrooms and handled my business.  The way back was so much better and I stepped it up a bit.  Funny how an empty bladder makes things look a bit easier! 

I'm so happy to be home now and clean.  I spent an extra minute or two savoring the shower as it washed the tired and the icky of public potty off me (I know it's all in my head but...ewww!).  Now it's time for me to work on getting my head back in the game and face whatever the trainer has planned tomorrow. Wish me luck!

No comments: