Monday, July 18, 2011

Ironman Inspiration

I watched the re-run of the 2011 Ironman Triathlon in Kona,Hawaii. So very inspiring!  Made me want to get out there and do more and consider a marathon.  Now I only said consider.  I still can't wrap my mind around doing something like that.  But I said I can't wrap my mind around it, not that I can't do it.  Maybe one day.  Maybe not.  Time will tell. 

Although most of the stories covered were inspiring, I was particularly taken by Lew Hollander.  He raced his first Ironman at 55.  Twenty-five years later, he finished again.  It was awesome!  His words of advice? "If you want to be functional at 80, you better damn well pay attention at 40". I love that! 

So, I'm paying attention just a year and some months shy of that big 40.  But unlike others, I don't dread the year. I'm anticipating greater things.  I know what I don't want to be 25 years from now.  I don't quite know what I want outside of being happy and healthy.  Again, time will tell. 

The husband is being careful with his diet here lately which means there is less and less 'fun' food in the house. And what I mean by fun food are things like crackers, peanuts and sugar drinks.  Though he will not depart from his Tang addiction!  But this change makes it easier for me to up my goals and helps me stick with it.  He's also awesome with his words of wisdom and keeps reminding me that I can do things and the things I have done are pretty good too.  He's my Old Wise One.  Lol.

So, here's some current pics.  I still have  aways to go and the scale is not moving much but I feel so much stronger and my body feels awesome.


No comments: