Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Mindfully Working

A while back I posted about being a Wannabe.  I found it while sitting here trying to clear my writing block by reading old posts.  In it I stated,

'I want to be that person confidently jogging the trail, sweating but not panting and grunting for a sip of air. I want to be that person killing time on the elliptical without holding on.  I want to be that person that runs the track and afterwards hangs out on the grassy area doing crunches, lunges, push ups, pull ups and other insane moves....just because I can.  I want to be that person that can do all of these things because I love doing it.'

Well folks, it seems I'm on my way to achieving that status.  I wanted it and I believe I will have it soon enough.  Believe it or not, I now run the track and then knock out crunches, lunges, push and pull us, squats and other insane moves on the field.  I have put in the work and because of that, I have gotten to a point where I look forward to it.  Now don't get me wrong. When I'm on the track I'm still panting and wishing for a stronger run and an easier way to sip my air. I still hate the elliptical even though I've increased my time and incline.  I still have doubts about being able to complete a new workout or move.  But I'm working on it.  

While the husband and I were putting some miles on the treadmill this morning I discovered something that I think has helped me get to this point.  My thinking over these few years seems to be what was holding me back. I've always managed to limit myself by saying 'That's all I can do' or 'I'm not fit enough to attempt that'.  The body seems to follow through with what the mind it telling it.  Sometimes the mind is wrong.  I know this to be true because I discovered some wrong thinking this morning.

While run/walking on the treadmill I decided to challenge myself.  I decided to continuously run until I was sure I couldn't keep up the speed any longer.  It's been a while since I've done this.  I took off at a slow jog and increased my speed.  I was doing well (and my breathing was controlled for a change).  At one point I made the mistake of looking down and saw I had beat my personal time of running without stopping.  Immediately I felt like I accomplished something and that feeling was followed by the thought that I could then stop.  But I knew I wasn't fatigued enough to stop. That's when the wrestling mind happened.  As soon as I had the thought, I felt like I couldn't go any longer.  But in the back of my mind I heard 'Don't let weak defeat!'  I hate to be seen as weak...even if I'm putting the title on myself.  I heard it and pushed the thought of stopping out of my head and kept going until I couldn't fight it any longer.  When I slowed to a jog and then walk I was smiling.  I did it!  I fought past the idea that I couldn't do more than my mind said I could.    

So I think the ground I've gained on my 'wannabe' goal has a lot to do with new thinking.  Even though I still get nervous about some workouts, I fight through it and face the fear and always come out on top.  Without staying positive and confident, there is no way I can achieve a healthier lifestyle.  The mind is a powerful son of a witch but it's all we've got!

Quote of the Day: “Whatever you hold in your mind will tend to occur in your life. If you continue to believe as you have always believed, you will continue to act as you have always acted. If you continue to act as you have always acted, you will continue to get what you have always gotten. If you want different results in your life or your work, all you have to do is change your mind.”

No comments: