Saturday, December 17, 2011

Leaders, Lessons and Love

I would just like to share a small moment the husband and I had while watching t.v. yesterday. We were watching Extreme Makeover: Home Edition and there was a part where they decorated the park in this neighborhood.  I said some people might not think Christmas lights were a big deal.  Mentioning that I grew up in an area where it would have been awesome to have that in the middle of the neighborhood but things like that only happened in the richer parts of town.  My husband listened and said it's possible but you must have a leader.   He went on to address exactly what a leader endures while trying to complete a task. 

He said that when you are working to do things for other people you will always meet with criticism.  People will tell you that you can't do it.  They will say you are wasting your time.  They will say that the very people you are trying to help don't deserve it.  Even some family members will try to discourage.  He said that with all of the 'advice' you get, you must push past them and keep your eye on the prize when you are trying to help others.  He said you should never accept that it can't be done simply because no one has done it.  He finished saying no one can be a successful leader without loving what they do.  Then he looked at me and said,  'You are a leader.  I know you want to do so much but sometimes you are doubtful. I see you work hard to move beyond most problems that come and through it all you keep on smiling.'  Then he went on to point out examples and ended with how proud he was of me.  I love him for that.  He's always teaching me something new.  Or at least a different way of looking at things. Sometimes his observation amazes me.

With it being the holiday season, I'm thinking it fitting that I air my feeling of love right here and now.   After all, to me Christmas is about an expression of love.  Not that we shouldn't feel this at all times.  It's just that like Thanksgiving, it is a  time for those that may have a problem expressing it the other 364 days of the year. Christmastime makes it a little bit easier for them to get it out. 

So I would like to go on blog record as saying I love my husband.  He's smart, kind, stubborn, humble and so many other things.  I can't for the life of me figure how I got to deserve someone like this.  When I tell him this, he shushes me with embarrassment but then tells me it is he who is blessed to have found me.  We go on and on like that for a few minutes before both agreeing that we are both blessings from God. 

Our gifts this year will be a repeat of last year.  I can't think of a better gift than a love letter from him.  Sure he grunts and groans saying his English and grammar is not perfect.  Who wants perfect?  Not me.  I'll take honesty and heart over those any day.  I love my husband and I count him as a blessing each and every day.
Love your people  (and pets) and have a great weekend!

No comments: