Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Active and Lovin' It!

I know it's been a while but I've had some crazy days.  Most have been pretty awesome days but there just don't seem to be enough hours in the day.  Consequently, I've fallen behind on my bloggin' duties.  But no worries!  I'll try to recap just for you.  First of all, just let me say I've been in the gym or outside working it out.  Seriously, this weather has been weird but my body doesn't seem to know this.  I have been craving working out.  Now I know I've hit a turning point.  And to think just a couple of years ago I only wished I could WANT to work out.  I'd pass the people in the gym and wish I could be that dedicated.  Drive past the joggers and tell myself one day that will be me.  Well, I think I'm almost there.  I am in the gym and am sort of jogging.  I hit my 15 minute mile!  I just about died but I did it.  I've not hit it since but I did it! 


My clothes are fitting me so well.  At my sister and husband's encouragement (begging is more like it), I finally purchased 2 new pairs of jeans.  For anyone that doesn't already know, I hate to shop.  I was sitting in the dressing room with a jeans my sister handed me.  I looked at the size first and then promptly told her there was no way I was going to fit into that size.  My exact words were, 'You got jokes.  Give me a real size!'.  Well, she insisted I at least try since I wasn't sure what I wore now.  Guess what?  Those suckers fit!  I was so excited.  She told me I should probably get a size smaller because once they were worn, they would feel larger.  I tried a smaller but was uncomfortable with them so I purchased the original.  Well....I should have listened.  They are a tad bit large on me now.  But that's OK.  It's been some years since I could say something was too big so I'm wearing them proudly with a belt.  Yay me! 


I'm still working on completing my 10k at the end of April.  I've even enlisted more people to join me.  My sister and co-worker have been walking with me after work.  Sister didn't really have a choice since this Round-Up race is a family tradition now and she would never hear the end of it if she didn't do it.  Though she thinks she's gonna cop out of the 5k and do the family mile.  I don't think so!  My friend 'Lina decided she needed to train for the 5k portion.  Now, I don't think they truly understood how much I actually workout.  We were walking the lake and as usual, my sister is bringing up the rear.  Doesn't bother her because she's just starting.  Lina made the comment that I walk faster here than I do at work.  My response?  'That's because at work I slow down for you.'  Well, it's true.  But we are outside with other walkers and runners.  I can't be out there and not break a sweat.  I'm not sure they know what they've gotten into when walking with me. 


My original goal was to shed about 10 lbs a month.  Well, the last couple of weeks have been so hectic that my eating is not where it should be so I lagged a bit. But I weighed in this past Sunday and am happy to report that I am at 5 pounds for the month.  I guess I'm on track but I need to really pay attention to my eating.  Unfortunately, this means dropping out of the team building activity at my job.  Sadly, the 'team building' is Wednesday Dessert.  I just can't do it.  Why work hard all week to ruin a good day with a slice of store-bought cheesecake?  That's what I keep telling myself to make it through those days.  It's hard when you work with nothing but sweet-toothed women!  But I can fight it!


My friend Barta has all but convinced me that I can do a half marathon.  I'm still scared of that.  That's crazy talk right?   First I need to complete this 10k right?  (I talk to myself a lot when trying to make a decision).  What happens if I can't do this?  My friend explained that you are trained for whatever race you choose.  So, I'm going to be attending a TNT meeting in May to see what this is all about.  Well, if Barta and Carli can do it, so can I. Everyone knows I love to fund raise for a good cause so why not benefit my body in the process?  Luckily, I have a pretty good cheerleader section in my life so I'm confident I can at least come up with a realistic goal. 


Let's see...Oh!  I have been so into this new active me that I've created another challenge for myself.  I sit at my desk looking out the window, watching walkers and joggers.  But my most recent 'want' is to be those that are racing up and down the parking garage stairs.  Yep! I'm gonna do it.  Of course I decide this just as we are about to get into the hot temps.  But, we have a shower in the office building so I can clean up after my lunch climbs.  Lina says she'll join me.  Right now I'm doing the short back stairs in the building.  I'm up to 7 flights without struggling too much.  I generally do short bouts of walking and then the stairs on my 15 minute breaks.  The security guard thinks I'm crazy but I think he secretly wishes he could do it. Ha!


I decided I cannot take my babies to the lake to walk.  Sofie's terrified of ducks and geese.  Baxter is overly excited by them so that's not much better.  I'll just have to be content with my sweet hubby and his giant one step to my three.  But again, I'm competitive so it makes me work that much harder.

My personal quote today:
It will happen, when you take action.

No comments: