Sunday, May 1, 2011

A Bust but a Must!


Me and T

Waco PD stole my glory!  Lazy-arsed bums. OK. Let me back up and start from the beginning. As noted in my previous post, I was a bit nervous because there was no map of the 10K on the Race site and I was relieved to get it by email the day before.  My friend and I hit the road to the Race before 6am.  It was a pleasant drive as I rarely have conversation when traveling to Waco.  She was talkative and still had that energy.  But it was cool.  We stopped to visit my sis, then went in search of the Alico building to park for the race.  We people watched as we were making our way to the start line and made several educated guesses on why some of these people thought their outfits were appropriate for these walks.  There were heeled flip flops, regular flip flops, super short, coochie-cutting shorts, and some pretty awesome team themed tshirts. 

The race eventually got started.  It was slow moving for a while.  So many people and oh so many strollers at the front.  We finally hit a good stride and my buddy was doing quite well.  I don't think she's ever walked this fast even on our after work walkouts.  At the 5K turnaround, she decided she was going to try the 10K.  My mouth hung open.  I had my doubts but she wanted to go for it and far be it from me to stop the motivation.  So, we forged ahead. 

I decided to break away from her at one point because I wanted to do this with a relatively decent time, though at that point in the race, since I had yet to run, I wasn't expecting the best.  Well, I hit the Mile 4 marker and some little kid comes running up to me. He's telling me the guy at the last marker says I have to turn back.  I walk a ways back with them and the guy is saying I have to turn back.  I ask why.  He says he doesn't know but the cop says I do.  Well, at this point I'm pretty darned pissed.  He says he's not sure why but I should ask her.  You bet my buns I did.  I ran up to her and asked her why the hell I was being turned around.  She (in her dumb Waco PD voice) said, 'I don't know Ma'am.  That's what the radio said.'  So, I moved one to the cop at the stop ahead of her.  He said we should have been turned around earlier because there were only supposed to be out there a certain amount of time and they were going to be opening the roads.  I was royally pissed.  So much so, I told him about it.  I told him, 'This is some Shyte!'  He said, 'I'm sorry ma'am.  You can continue but the roads will be open and yall can't be walking in the road.'  I went on back.  You are telling me they only had the roads closed for 2 hours following the start time for one of the largest races of the year?  What?  Were they so busy they couldn't hang around? 

My friend had been turned around well before me so I had to find her and catch her.  I made this my challenge.  I ran until I caught up with her.  That was a small victory because I felt good enough that I could have kept running.  I hadn't even broken a good sweat from exertion yet.  Now, the humidity was another story.  But anyway, we walked the rest of the way back but I did end up leaving her behind again because  as the whole turn-back scenario replayed in my head, I got more and more pissed.  And as most people know, pissiness fuels me and makes me push my workouts a bit harder. So, my walk was pretty fast and I was passing as many people as I could.  And I caught several comments by the returning runners about how unfair this was. Unless they organize this better next year, I can't see it being as successful and that would be a shame for such a good cause.

Per my pedometer, I hit roughly 5 miles.  That's not bad but I wanted my 6.2 and I wanted my time!  Oh! And when we hit the bridge for the finish, we bottle-necked and I had to stand still for a time. What a rip-off.  I didn't even get a time.  And you know when a race ends and you are supposed to receive the bananas, bagels, chips, vitamin waters, bottled waters and such? Well, that was all done.  They were giving all that to people before the race got started.  By the time I got off the bridge, the tents were packing it up.  In the words of my sister, 'What kinda chicken outfit is this!'

But I do try and find the positives.  My friend did a rockin' job of keeping up a good pace and she did over 4 miles at a supa-dupa pace.  I was so proud of her and hopes this has put a fire under her to continue her workouts at a higher rate.  My goal has not been met therefore, I must move to find another 10K.  We do have the 5k Mission Race in May so I may just do it twice (around the lake) and get a personal time and call it done.  Either way, I'm gonna get what's mine!  Waco PD....phooey on you!

No comments: